Buckwheat Pancakes with Candied Maple Pecans
(GF, DF, WF, Refined Sugar Free)
These American style pancakes are completely delicious, despite being dairy, gluten and refined sugar free. They're also vegan and made of just a few simple ingredients that you can pick up in most local shops. Instead of egg, the binder in these is the juice from a can of chickpeas and I can't believe how well it works. It's called aquafaba and I think it might have just transformed my cooking! Plus, save the chickpeas ready for dinner, or pop them in the oven with a little oil and some spices alongside the pecans (different pan!) and snack on them later.”
Makes 5-6 American style pancakes
For the pecans
1 teaspoon of coconut oil
15 ml of maple syrup
2 teaspoons of coconut sugar (this can be replaced with regular sugar)
70g of pecans
For the pancakes
Coconut oil for the pan
150g buckwheat flour
1/3 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/3 teaspoon baking powder
150ml almond milk
1 can of chickpeas (you're using the juice not the chickpeas themselves - save those for dinner!)
3 teaspoons of maple syrup
A pinch of salt
1. Preheat the oven to 180c.
2. In a small pan, melt the coconut oil, maple syrup and coconut sugar for the pecans. Stir well then leave to thicken for a few moments.
3. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper. Add the pecans and stir, then pour them onto the paper and place in the oven for 10 minutes. Once they are cooked, remove from the oven and leave to cool. You can then use your hands to break them into little pieces.
4. Next for the pancakes - sift the flour into a large mixing bowl, adding the bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, and 75ml of juice from the chickpea can. Then mix in the almond milk, a pinch of salt and the maple syrup and mix until you have a totally smooth batter.
5. Using a small non-stick saucepan (around 10cm) heat a small amount of coconut oil. Then pour in around 1/6th of the batter and allow it to cook over a medium heat. Once it is cooked enough to hold, flip the pancake and cook the other side. Then repeat with the rest of the batter. This should take no more than around mins per pancake.
6. Serve with chopped banana, maple syrup and sprinkle with the candied pecans.