Have You Tried...Oil Pulling
I’ve recently shaken up my morning routine, and absolutely fallen in love with oil pulling! I tried it a few times in the past but never really stuck to it but more recently I have been trying to stick with it more. Oil pulling has been banded around for a while now but so many people I’ve spoken to have been put off because it sounds a bit odd, and a lot more complicated than it actually is! Oil pulling is very simply swishing unrefined oil around your mouth in order to rid the body of toxins and bacteria that lead to feeling dull, tired, and under the weather - which most of us experience to some extent or other at this time of the year! More recently, it has been marketed as a natural teeth whitener and as someone who loves a pearly smile, I thought it was about time I gave it a proper go.
Here is a step-by-step guide to pulling with oil:
- Select your oil - traditional Ayurvedic practitioners used unrefined virgin hemp oil, but I go for virgin coconut oil for it’s ability to fight bad bacteria in the body whilst supporting the growth of good bacteria - plus I already have it at home! Coconut oil also tastes fantastic, which makes the process even more relaxing and pleasant. Cocowhite have actually developed FLAVOURED coconut oil sachets to up the taste factor if that helps make it a little more pallatable.
- First thing in the morning, before eating or drinking anything or brushing your teeth, take about a teaspoon (or a sachet if you’re using Cocowhite) of oil and put it in your mouth.
- Hold the oil in your mouth until it has melted.
- Swish, swoosh, pull, and push the oil around your mouth. You can do this for anywhere between five and twenty minutes, but the longer the better!
- Spit the oil into the bin when your time is up (don’t spit into the sink because when the oil hardens it will cause a blockage in the drain!!)
- Sit bit and enjoy the instant rejuvenation, clean, and calm you’ll be feeling
Oil pulling is a great thing to add into your daily routine. If you’re reading this and thinking “I don’t have the time for another ritual” then my top tip would be to oil pull while you shower, that way you’re not using up any extra time, and your morning shower will feel even more uplifting :) - plus, if you find it hard to keep swishing for long enough, it means you don't notice the time pass so much.
Give it a go - it might just brighten your teeth and lift your energy!