This is Your Year
Happy New Year Everyone. I hope you are either feeling refreshed and ready to take on 2016 or maybe you are having a lazy day recovering from late night festivities - either way, its the perfect way to begin!
At this time we always seem to be surrounded with phrases like 'New Year, New You' or 'New Year's Resolution' and the turning of the calendar marks a very definitive point of change. For some people that is the turning point they need in order to find some new motivation but really, any day is the right day to reflect, learn, change and grow.
There seems to be an added pressure to know what it is that we want to achieve and the benchmarks we are going to use to measure our success but I prefer to think of it as a point of reflection and evaluation, a chance to remind ourselves of everything we have, everything we are and all the wonderful things around us. From there, with that gratitude in mind, we set ourselves on the best possible platform to continue to better ourselves every day.
One of the most important things that I have learned over the last few years as I have tried to live more consciously is that you really don't get anywhere by spending too much time worrying about what has been and what is to come. All we have is right now, this present moment, and the choices we make now are all that matter. That is not to say that we shouldn't be forward thinking but I really believe that by being true to ourselves and focusing on enjoying everything life throws at us is the best way to live the most fulfilled life.
Too often we are chasing a goal post with such focus, we forget to enjoy the journey there. The trouble is, if and when we finally reach that goal post, things have changed and we want something else. How can we ever truly be content if our happiness is conditional on whether or not we tick certain boxes.
So much in life is out of hands but the one thing that you will always have control of is your happiness. While things may happen that throw us off course, it is the choice we make in our mindset, the way we deal with the ebb and flow of life, that determines its impact on our happiness.
I have set some intentions, but not because it is a new year, because I believe that positive affirmations, thoughts and intentions breed positivity into my own life so it is a practise that I do regularly. I thought I would share them with you below for anyone looking for a little inspiration - but remember these are for where I am right now so personal reflection is the best way to find your own.
So this year, of course set yourself goals, challenges, tell yourself what changes you want to make, but don't loose the importance of enjoying the journey waiting to reach the destination.
A few personal intentions:
- I will progress in my handstands, slowly but surely, and be kind to myself when I feel like I've taken a few steps back!
- I will teach with all my energy. I will inspire myself and others to be the best versions of ourselves.
- I will be more present in everything I do - no phone when I'm with my family, no texting at the gym, no back to back meetings that leave me clock watching.
- I will make time for daily meditation, whether that be on my mat or elsewhere. It changes everything.
- I will break habits and try new things. I've been challenged to 14 days of drinking Tea Pigs matcha - I've always been a bit nervous of it so I thought it seemed like a good time to really give it a try!
- I will be kind - to myself, to others, always.