Pancake Day (GF, DF, Vegan Option)
Pancake day. The ultimate day for the dieters crime of 'using up all the bad stuff now so we can't eat it tomorrow'. Obviously not the original guiding principle behind Shrove Tuesday but essentially how it has evolved for many.
But pancake day doesn't have to be that naughty and if you are dairy/gluten free doesn't mean you have to miss out either. Whether its breakfast, lunch or dinner, these pancakes will definitely get you your batter fix without the guilty label (topping dependent of course).
Ingredients (makes around 10)
1 cup of oats (GF or regular)
3/4 cup of ground flax
2 eggs (for a vegan alternative, use egg substitute or 2 bananas)
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 tbsp cinnamon
A pinch of salt
2 tablespoons of maple syrup
150g blueberries (optional - or you could replace with strawberries, banana, nuts etc.)
Coconut oil for cooking
- Beat the eggs (or mash the bananas) and put in a mixing bowl with the oats, ground flax and almond milk.
- Add the cinnamon, salt and maple syrup.
- If using blueberries, use the end of a rolling pin to slightly squash them slightly before adding to the mixture. The mixture should be quite thick so add more oats and flax if it is too runny
- Place a spoonful of coconut oil in a frying pan over a low heat.
- Spoon the mixture into the pan and allow to heat through. Once the pancake lifts from the pan, flip it over and cook the other side.
- Place in a warm oven (turned off) to keep warm while you cook the rest.
- Drizzle with maple syrup, yogurt, fruit or whatever other topping you like!